Friday, September 4, 2009

i have my own voice, and this is what people say for me.

Because I am young, I am hopelessly idealistic about the world around me and do not understand what it means like to truly suffer. The most I understand in my cushy, white, middle-class existence is the fact that I have 2 years of school left before I go off to a college while living at home. I think that the only problem in my life is making sure I wear the right clothes and make friends with the right people, so I can meet the right guy and get ahead in life.


Because I am young, I do not understand what it means to love, because I am not yet resilient and cynical about the emotional capacity of man. I don’t understand what love truly is because my age hasn’t reached past the two decade mark. I don’t understand what it means to truly care for someone because I haven’t been in a failed relationship before, only kissed one boy, and manage to have feelings for all the wrong people.


Because I am young, I have no sense of responsibility and my conscience doesn’t bother me. All I am concerned about is when I get my next allowance, why nobody truly understands me, the fact that my clothes reflect exactly who I am to the world, and that my curfew doesn’t let me stay out nearly late enough.


Because I am a teenager, I have no morals, because fuck the world, nobody understands me anyways.


Because I am a teenage girl, I am insecure, think that I’m far too fat, and care more about what people think of me than I do about things that should truly bother me. I am not intelligent, and if I am, I could not possibly let a boy see me that way. I care about what my cell phone ring tone says about me as a person. I let my worth be judged by others, and do nothing to help my community or better the world around me.


Because I am white, I think I am the superior race and obviously shouldn’t be bothered by the fact that more and more jobs are looking for racial minorities instead of me, because my race is responsible for everything wrong with the world, past, present, and future.


Because I am a female, I want to prove to the world that I am a male. Not that I should have the same rights and the same opportunities as a man, but that I can bench press as much, waste as much of my life away in front of a computer, be as stoic and emotionless, go as long without crying, and generally just go against my biologically hardwired instinct to nurture and interact socially.


Because I am human, I put too much emphasis on the individual and never stop think about people affected on a larger scale.

I don’t know about you, but I’m sick of people talking for me.

4 comments:

Sinthu said...

did you write that? I liked reading this post

Lenny said...

yeah, I tried something new in the middle of the night.
I got the idea when I read the message that Tosh left for us last semester which went something like "Don't let others speak for you when you can do a much better job of it yourself"

and voila.

I'm glad you liked it :]

RootPanda said...

interesting

Lenny said...

that's usually the reaction I get for my art LOL.

"interesting" *awkward pause* *cough*

XD