Saturday, September 12, 2009

Books

So I was lurking around my Goodreads after I got home today from Jean shopping and I've accumulated quite a to-read list.
I admit, I don't read nearly as much as I used to back in elementary school, high school really does take a lot out of you, but I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.

I realize that I'm seriously missing out on classic Russian literature, because quite honestly, I read remarkably slowly in Russian. My vocabulary is limited, and yeah I'm just largely out of practice. I've heard of people learning the language for the sole reason of being able to read things like Anna Karenina, The Master and Margarita, War and Peace (ok maybe not War and Peace) in the original Russian text. To me, that is insane.
Russian is a remarkably difficult language and far far more advanced and beautiful than English could ever hope to be. I find myself often frustrated at how hard it is to translate between the two.

I've never liked classics. I was forced to read them as a child, and I've read some of the better ones, Oliver Twist, Treasure Island, Journey to the Center of the Earth, 20,000 Leagues under the sea, Tom Sawyer, etc. etc. and those weren't THAT painful.
Forcing myself to read through the entirety of Pride and Prejudice however, was immensely painful.
Maybe I'm easily bored or maybe I have horrible taste in books, but hey at least I know what I like.

But I would like to read Russian classics, preferably in the original and the translation. This may be a long and time-consuming process though.

I'm not a huge fan of the profoundly moving books on human nature and how doomed we all are in the end, because honestly (and I've inherited this from my mother) I'd rather read something entertaining.
The world sucks and we all realize this full well.
I'm sick of being sad about my insignificance in the grand scheme of things, and I just want a stupid disposable murder mystery novel or humanity's newest attempt at humour (has anyone noticed that the novels in the humour section are rarely, if ever, funny?), or a sword and sorcery adventure of epic proportions.

I'll shut up about books now,

~Lenny

P.S. survived first week of school. dreading next week.
P.P.S. Got 2 pairs of jeans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi how are you?

I was looking through your blog, and I found it interesting, and inspiring to me, so I thought why not leave you a comment.

I too have a blog that I use out of Southern California here in San Diego.

Mostly it is a collection of artistic expression, and I have many friends with the same interests, maybe you can become my friend, and follow, and I can also follow you, if that is okay.

Well I hope to hear from you soon, and or read about you….LOL

Sincerely,
Jesse