Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Weird


I take absolutely no credit for the above work of genius, I've had it sitting on my computer for a few months now and don't remember the source. D:

But it was the driving inspiration for my Narrative Non-Fiction short story thing that I ended up writing and re-writing and poking at for Writers Craft.

I just thought I'd share.

There Are People Like Me/There Are People Like You

There are people like me, who laugh too easily, talk too much, and dance like a wounded turtle with only three legs.
There are people like you, who when they laugh light up a room, talk just enough to keep the world interested, and though I've never seen you dance, I'd bet it comes as easily to you as everything you dare to attempt.
There are people like me, all razor sharp wit and precise lines, and a terrible secret fantasy that someone would draw me a curve and leave me confused, open, and breathless.
There are people like me, who rage over the smallest, most insignificant details and largest frustrations with the world, losing sleep over the fact that I can't change anything and never will.
There are people like you, who I've never even seen mildly irritated, who take everything in stride, and so it goes, and so it goes, and so it goes.
There are people like me, who are addicted to words, who read text messages on the way home from school and grin like an idiot because maybe it reminded me of the million dollar smile you flashed me last Monday when I told you a particularly heinous joke.
There are people like you, who handle my verbal sparring matches like a pro, matching me blow for blow and leave me frustrated at the fact that I just can't win.
There are people like me, all shiny brown hair and long-lashed eyes, obscenely tall in heels and no, I wouldn't put on skinny jeans even if they paid me.
There are people like you, so hopelessly striking that I wonder how I get any work done, ever and find myself drawing the same set of eyebrows, again and again.
There are people like me, who have had to work for everything they've ever achieved in life; who if they wanted something, left their blood, sweat and tears on the floor and got up for more – because I've got something to prove to any bastard that's ever told me to do girl push-ups instead.
There are people like you, who've probably never had to try for anything in your life, who've always been so naturally talented that you assumed we were all the same way.
There are people like me, who are absolute garbage at articulating feelings and any emotion that matters and yet care so much. Selfish and self-absorbed, I sometimes wonder how I managed to keep any friends at all.
There are people like you, who listen, if absolutely nothing else.
There are people like me, who are terrified and petrified, so completely lost that I wonder how I ride the same bus home every single day and how,

how can you be so sure?



2 comments:

Sinthu said...

What a lovely post! Are you taking writer's craft? How is it? Also, the picture reminds me how my friend had to answer the question "are you normal?" She thought it was kind of a silly q.

Lenny said...

Yep I am.

Well my teacher is an absolute nightmare and refuses to conform to mark inflation, but I have to say that I'm kind of having fun :]

That is a silly question, hahaha, I have yet to meet a normal person.